Can a person’s age prevent him or her from undergoing LASIK? In the majority of cases, a person’s age will not be the sole reason that he or she is not a suitable candidate for LASIK. Many patients, whether they are in their early 20s or even in their 80s, may benefit from LASIK. The overall health of the patient is far more important than his or her chronological age.
Benefits of LASIK
Laser eye surgery has helped millions of people achieve excellent vision without having to rely on glasses and contact lenses. LASIK offers many benefits, including:
- Safety: LASIK is among the safest procedures performed today.
- Effectiveness: Myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism can be safely, effectively, and accurately corrected through LASIK
- Improved quality of life: Being able to see without having to wear contact lenses or glasses at all times can have a positive impact on a person’s quality of life.
- Speed: Within just a few minutes of commencing the procedure, LASIK is completed without having to compromise safety, accuracy, or comfort.
- Improved vision: Most patients will be able to perform day-to-day tasks such as driving without having to rely on glasses or contact lenses. Many patients are able to achieve 20/20 vision or better after undergoing LASIK.
- Excellent results: Immediately after surgery, most patients experience a substantial improvement in vision. A patient’s vision will continue to improve until it stabilizes within a couple of weeks to months after the procedure.
- Comfort: LASIK is virtually painless.
- Quick and easy recovery: Many patients find the recovery period to be relatively easy and quick. Within a couple of days after surgery, most patients find themselves ready to return to work.
- Exceptional, long-lasting results: The results of LASIK are long-lasting, and the vast majority of patients achieve 20/30 vision or better.
- Customizable treatment: LASIK can be tailored and customized to suit the unique needs of the individual patient.
- Reduced dependence on visual aids: Most patients will be able to eliminate their dependence on glasses and contact lenses, while other patients will be able to greatly reduce their dependence on glasses and contact lenses through LASIK.
- Pursuing new careers: A patient’s reliance upon glasses or contact lenses may prevent him or her from pursuing careers that require excellent vision. The results achieved through LASIK may open a door to new career opportunities.
LASIK and Patient Age
It is common for older patients to have cataracts or other conditions affecting the eyes. Whereas older patients may have more stable vision, younger patients may not be ideal candidates for LASIK because of frequent changes in their eye prescriptions. Patients in their 40s, 50s, 60s, and up may have different challenges from patients in their 20s and 30s, but they can still achieve excellent results through LASIK. Whether a patient is 18 or 79, he or she may benefit from LASIK surgery.
Schedule a Consultation
The specialists at Black Hills Regional Eye Institute in Rapid City consider many factors when determining LASIK candidacy, including age, medical history, vision history, eye prescription, and the expectations and needs of the patient. To learn more about how a patient’s age might affect LASIK results or candidacy, please contact our office today.